Monday, April 18, 2011

Yet another reason from why Radiohead may be the best band in the world

The other day I was picking through the neglected online CD catalog at Fondren for some good music when I came across music by a little British band you might have heard of called Radiohead. From what I can tell, Radiohead’s albums are the only rock ‘n roll albums (if you can call them that) in Fondren’s catalog (a subject search did not show any CD results). Fondren has every album of theirs (including their not-so-extraordinary debut Pablo Honey).
To be honest, Radiohead makes really great study music. Studies have shown that music with lyrics isn’t as conducive to studying as music without lyrics (e.g. classical and jazz music). But Radiohead gives the best of both worlds, combining a classical and jazz influence into foot-tapping, head-bobbing rockers with ambient, ethereal, electronic, instrumentals.
And I will confess, I’ve never been a huge fan of Thom’s lyrics. Having been a fan for years, I’m rather ashamed to admit that though I can recognize all of Radiohead’s music by ear, I don’t even know the titles of half of their songs. The names are just too weird. But that’s okay. Radiohead has always been a band first, a group of punk lyricists second.
If you disagree with me and think that Thom Yorke and his motley crue are a bunch of weirdos—well, all I gotta say to you is that one of the best music schools in the nation believes that Radiohead is the only rock’n roll band good enough to grace its music shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment