Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Interlibrary Loans—a great way to get (almost) anything you want

 Check this out.


So one of Fondren’s well-kept secret services is the Interlibrary Loan. In a nutshell, by requesting an interlibrary loan, a patron can request an item not owned by Fondren library. The librarians subsequently must request the item from another library that has the item (hence the name).

It’s a great way for the ultimate cheapo to get anything he wants without paying for it (you can even request  DVDs and CDs)?

One catch is that you need to pick up your item within about 7 days of Fondren’s receiving the requested item.

How do I know this? Well, simply put, Fondren banned me from using the interlibrary loan service after I failed to pick up the Andrey Rublev DVD I had requested within 7 days. However, in my defense, I would like to say that Fondren only managed to retrieve the DVD in time for winter break, so I really didn’t feel like driving all the way down to Fondren just to pick up a DVD.

This service is not exclusive to Fondren all three of my library branches (Harris County, Brazoria County, and Houston Public library branches) offer this service.

No comments:

Post a Comment