Tuesday, March 22, 2011

You can’t always get what you want

The most annoying thing for me is coming to the library sometimes just to pick up that one CD, DVD, or book, only to find that someone has already checked it out in the 10 minutes it took you to walk over to Fondren from your dorm room.

Lesson learned: don’t be afraid to reserve materials in the future. It doesn’t cost anything, and it takes just a minute of your time at most (that is, unless, you have absolutely no idea how to navigate Fondren’s catalog, which is neither the smartest nor the most user-friendly library catalog I have used. For more on this see my previous post).

And just FYI, for those who’ve never actually checked out anything from Fondren, be sure to keep in mind that you need to open an account with the library in order to be able to reserve and renew stuff online.

And when you do get an account, don’t forget to renew stuff on time. What really bugs me about the Fondren reminder system is that it only reminds you to renew an item two days before it is due, rather than the day it is due.

And because, like many on the Rice campus, I am a do-it-at-the-last minute person, this has resulted in me having to make several late-night trips to the library to return an item because I forgot to renew it the day it was due.

Well, at least I enjoy midnight runs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment