Tuesday, March 15, 2011

What?! DVDs at Fondren?


So every time I tell someone that Fondren has DVDs, I get a puzzled look. DVDs? He or she will say. That’s cool. I never knew that. The only person I know who actually checks out DVDs from Fondren is my roommate. And that’s only because I actually told him about Fondren’s DVD collection at the beginning of the school year.

By this measure, I suppose I’m just an extreme outlier when it comes to checking out DVDs from Fondren. If you don’t like waiting in lines, you can now self-checkout most DVDs now (unless they have booklets or extra materials associated with them).

Back in the old days (i.e. last year), you had to go to the circulation desk with an index card which had the call number of the movie you wanted written on it. Half the time, the librarians or student librarians would return empty-handed, either because they couldn’t read my handwriting (repeating second grade penmanship might do me some good at this point in my life) or because they still hadn’t figured out the Dewey decimal system.

If you’re a devoted fan of arthouse, you will be rather surprised by the breadth of Fondren’s selection. If you’re a fan of campy, trashy films, you’ll be happy to a find a few of those there as well. If you don’t, I’ll basically have the whole DVD collection to myself. Which is cool. 

That’s a win for me, a lose for you. But if I have competition for the DVDs, I’ll watch them quicker, and stop procrastinating on my schoolwork. Now that’s a win for everybody.

So bottom line: I encourage everyone to check out Fondren’s collection. I do realize by saying this, I am hampering my ability to pick up any DVD I want without having to reserve it before hand. But you should keep in mind that your tuition helps to support Fondren, and you shouldn’t let go to waste. After all, I can’t be the only one patronizing that section of the library. 

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I'm headed over to the campy, trashy titles since I haven't seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer yet.

    ReplyDelete